Vayo wins PokerStars 2017 SCOOP event<\/span><\/h2>\nVayo claims on May 22, 2017, he was part of a chop in the 2017 PokerStars SCOOP\u2019s first event. The five players split up the remaining prize money and left an additional $100,000 for the winner. Vayo ultimately went on to win the event and earned a total of $692,460<\/strong>.<\/p>\nVayo claims to have transferred as much as $90,000 to other PokerStars players over the next few weeks. Plus, he continued playing on the site. However, when Vayo attempted to withdraw the money on July 25, 2017, he was suddenly notified his account was being frozen. Plus, he was under investigation of suspicious activity.<\/p>\n
According to the complaint:<\/p>\n
\u201cWhat ensued was a nearly year-long inquest, during which (PokerStars) engaged in an appalling campaign of harassment, prying into every aspect of Mr. Vayo\u2019s record, demanding Mr. Vayo produce detailed retroactive proof of his location, and even opening meritless investigations into his friends\u2019 accounts, in order to gin up a pretext for not paying Mr. Vayo what he had won.\u201d<\/p><\/blockquote>\n
PokerStars allegedly lowered the bar<\/span><\/h2>\nVayo claims to have previously submitted documents to PokerStars establishing Canadian residency \u2014 documents that he says PokerStars approved, allowing him to play on the site to begin with. He then claims PokerStars demanded proof he was in Canada on each day of the tournament in question.<\/p>\n
He says he complied, providing evidence that he was in Canada at the time. However, PokerStars allegedly lowered the bar, insisting that despite the evidence he produced, it was \u201cnot inconceivable\u201d<\/strong> that he was in the US at some point during the event.<\/p>\nAccording to the complaint, on April 7, 2018, PokerStars sent Vayo a letter stating its investigation had concluded. The letter said Vayo had failed to produce evidence sufficient enough to rebut PokerStars\u2019 suspicions regarding his location. Therefore, he would not be paid.<\/p>\n
Vayo also claims PokerStars threatened to counter-sue him for breach of a provision in its terms of service. The provision requires all legal claims brought against the company be brought on the Isle of Man. According to the complaint, this essentially shields PokerStars from being sued altogether.<\/p>\n
\n